Sunday, April 25, 2010

RIP, Baby. You were a good car.

"First of all, I'm okay." - Me (talking to just about EVERYone)

This morning, while I was driving to church, I rolled my car. It was scary. I drifted onto the shoulder, over-corrected, lost control, went into the opposite ditch, where my car rolled over once and ended up back on its wheels. It sounds cheesy and cliche to say, but I feel incredibly fortunate. Not only because I walked away from this accident with only minor cuts and bruises, but also because -- this might sound weird -- the worst thing that happened to me today was that my car got totaled. Which, all things considered, is not actually that bad. I have a lot of things to be thankful for.

I'm thankful for the people who stopped to help me while I was waiting for the police, especially for the woman who held my hand while I was on the phone with 911 and the large man who pulled my car door open so I could get out.

I'm thankful for the police officer who didn't write me a ticket (huge sigh of relief) and reminded me in a humorous way how lucky I am to have survived: "Well, your car is pretty well fucked, so the fact that you're walking around and talking to me is pretty amazing."

I'm thankful for the ER doctors and nurses who were very nice as they looked at my bruised dome and explained that I had avoided a concussion.

I'm thankful that I avoided a concussion.

I'm thankful for my parents, all of whom managed not to totally freak out when I called them to let them know what had happened and really needed them to be calm.

I'm very thankful for my car, Baby. If you were to look at her now, you probably wouldn't guess that her driver made it out okay, but she kept me very safe.

And -- this is a biggie -- I'm thankful for Jake. Without gushing too obnoxiously much about how great my boyfriend is, I will just say that not only did he come and get me from the accident site and take me to the hospital, he also took me to Tom & Jerry's for lunch (plus, bonus Starbucks for some coffee, to keep me awake). He did a bunch of other really great, emotionally supportive stuff. I won't go into all the details, but he took really good care of me. He is good.

So, I have no car. I'm gonna be way sore tomorrow. I have a class presentation to get ready for and I have a lot of paperwork to fill out.

Thank goodness! :)

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Wow! I had no idea!

I'm thankful for you being ok!

Here it is a month later and I had no idea.

Drive safely Marj!